THIS IS A SPECIAL ORDER ITEM. IF YOU PLACE AN ORDER THERE MAY BE A DELAY OF UP TO 10 WORKING DAYS DEPENDING ON YOUR DELIVERY AREA
A nutritionally balanced, low-calorie, high-fibre feed for leisure horses and ponies, combining essential nutrients for healthy hooves with a light molasses coating.
Combining fibre sources that are all low in starch and sugars, Healthy Hooves is ideal for promoting gut health. A comprehensive range of vitamins and minerals are included to complement those naturally occurring in alfalfa to provide a balanced diet for your horse or pony.
Proven Nutrients for Healthy Hooves
Several studies have been conducted into how much biotin a horse requires. A study published in the Equine Vet Journal (1992), found that greater growth rates and hardness of hooves was achieved at a daily feeding rate of 15mg of biotin than at 7.5mg in horses diets. The level of biotin included in Dengie Healthy Hooves has been formulated accordingly and thus when fed at the recommended rates will provide a 500kg horse with 15mg of biotin per day.
Research published in the Vet Record (1987) demonstrated that alfalfa increases the quality and quantity of horn growth which was attributed to the highly available calcium and essential amino acids found naturally in alfalfa.
B vitamins have a wide range of functions within the horse’s digestive system including energy metabolism and growth and development. Healthy Hooves was the first chopped fibre feed on the market with a full range of all these important nutrients.
- Dengie Healthy Hooves has a full range of B vitamins including biotin at levels that research has shown to be effective at maximising hoof health
- Low sugar and starch – research has shown that horses and ponies predisposed to laminitis are at greater risk if fed cereals. Healthy Hooves is free from whole cereal grains.
- Chelated Trace Minerals – these are important for improved bio-availability to the horse, i.e. they are more easily absorbed. Trace minerals are important for general condition including hooves and coat condition and are also integral components of the body’s antioxidant system.
- Essential High-Fibre – fibre provides slow release energy and is essential for maximising gut health.
- Highly palatable – Healthy Hooves contains added garlic for great palatability and pellets for added interest.
How To Get The Most Out Of Feeding Healthy Hooves
Healthy Hooves is designed to be fed as the sole bucket feed alongside your horse’s normal hay/haylage ration. It is important that it is fed at the recommended quantities in order to provide the levels of nutrients your horse or pony requires; feeding less may affect condition and performance. If using less than recommended quantities, a broad spectrum vitamin and mineral supplement should be used alongside. Healthy Hooves is intended for horses and ponies at rest or in light work if fed as the sole bucket feed. For horses and ponies in moderate to hard work or requiring weight gain, Dengie Alfa-Beet can be fed alongside Healthy Hooves.
How much to feed?
|Horse or pony||Size Guide (hh)||Approx Weight (kg)||Bucket Feed per Day|
|Small Pony (eg: Welsh Pony, Exmoor)||9–13||200||1kg or 2 scoops|
|Large Pony (eg: Fell)||13.1–14.2||300||1.5kg or 3 scoops|
|Small Horse (eg: Arab)||14.3–15.2||400||2kg or 4 scoops|
|Medium Horse (eg: Thoroughbred)||15.3–16.2||500||2.5kg or 5 scoops|
|Large Horse (eg: Warmblood)||Over 16.2||600||3kg or 6 scoops|
Feed 500g of Healthy Hooves per 100kg of your horse’s bodyweight. Fibre weighs very little compared to mixes or cubes. It is important to weigh your scoop to ensure that you are feeding the correct amount. A large Stubbs scoop holds approxiamtely 500grams.